Hang Liu, Ph.D.
Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania
M.S. University of Pennsylvania
B.S. Tianjin University
Dr. Hang Liu joined the Catholic University of America as an Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science in 2013. Prior to joining CUA, he had more than 10 years of research experience in networking industry and worked in senior research and management positions at several companies including InterDigital Communications LLC, Thomson (now Technicolor) Corporate Research Lab in Princeton, NJ, and NEC Laboratories America. He also led several industry-university cooperative research projects. He was an adjunct professor of WINLAB, ECE Dept., Rutgers University from 2004 to 2012. Dr. Liu has published more than 60 papers in leading journals and conferences, and received one best paper award and one best student paper award. He is the inventor/co-inventor of over 80 granted and pending international patents. He has also made many contributions to the IEEE 802 wireless standards and 3GPP standards, and was the editor of the IEEE 802.11aa standard and the rapporteur of a 3GPP work item. Hang Liu received his Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Pennsylvania. His current research interests include the broad areas of wireless communications and networking, cognitive radio networks, Internet of Things, mobile computing, information-centric networking, content distribution, media streaming, future Internet architecture, network security, and network economics.
• “A Multi-Level DHT Routing Framework with Aggregation,”H. Liu, X. De Foy, and D. Zhang, ACM SIGCOMM ICN’12, Helsinki, Finland, August 2012.
• “A TLV-Structured Data Naming Scheme for Content-Oriented Networking,” H. Liu and D. Zhang, IEEE FutureNet V, Ottawa, Canada, June 2012.
• “HopCaster: A Network Coding-Based Hop-by-Hop Reliable Multicast Protocol,” R. Halloush, H. Liu, L. Dong, M. Wu, H. Radha, IEEE GlobeCom’12, Anaheim, CA, December, 2012.
• “Exploiting MIMO Antennas in Cooperative Cognitive Radio Networks,” S. Hua, H. Liu, M. Wu, S. Panwar, IEEE INFOCOM 2011, Shanghai, China, April 2011.
• “Scalable Video Multicast in Hybrid 3G/Ad-hoc Networks,” S. Hua, Y. Guo, Y. Liu, H. Liu, S. Panwar, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, Vol. 13, No. 2, Pages: 402-413, April 2011.
• “Network Assisted Media Streaming in Multi-hop Wireless Networks,” Y. Zhu, H. Liu, Y. Guo, W. Zeng, IEEE ICCCN’11, Maui, Hawaii, July 2011.
• “Enhancing IMS to Support Content-Oriented Networking,” H. Liu, X. Foy, O. Lotfallah, R. Gazda, S. Doken, 2nd ETSI Workshop on Future Networks Technologies, Sophia Antipolis, France, Sept. 2011.
• “Layer Bargaining: Multicast Layered Video over Wireless Networks," Z. Liu, Z. Wu, P, Liu, H. Liu, and Y. Wang, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC), Vol. 28, No. 3, Pages: 445 – 455, April 2010.
• “Adaptive Resource Allocation in Multicast OFDMA Systems,” K. Bakanoglu, M. Wu, H. Liu, S. Mathur, IEEE WCNC 2010, Sydney, Australia, April 2010.
• “Feasibility Study of Video Distribution over WLANs in Dense Deployment,” M. Wu, H. Liu, I. Mandrekar, R. Permumanam, S. Mathur, IEEE ICC 2010, Cape Town, South Africa, May 2010.
• “Mapping Link SNRs of Real-World Wireless Networks onto an Indoor Testbed,” J. Lei, R. Yates, L. Greenstein, H. Liu, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 8, No. 1, Pages 157-165, Jan 2009.
• “IPTV Multicast over Wireless LANs Using Merged Hybrid ARQ with Staggered Adaptive FEC,” M. Wu, S. Makharia, H. Liu, D. Li, S. Mathur, IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, Vol. 55, No. 2, Pages 363-374, June 2009.
• “Channel Assignment, Stream Control, Scheduling and Routing in Multi-Radio MIMO Wireless Mesh Networks,” L. Luo, H. Liu, D. Raychaudhuri, IEEE ICC 2009 Workshop, Dresden, Germany, June 2009.