Ujjal Bhowmik, Ph.D.
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, AL 2012
M.Tech., Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India 1999
Dr. Bhowmik Joined the Catholic University of America (CUA) in fall 2013. He is working as a clinical assistant professor in the department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science of CUA. Dr. Bhowmik earned his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Alabama in Huntsvillle and M.Tech in Instrumentation from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur, India. He also did his Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from Khulna University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh. Before joining Catholic University Dr. Bhowmik worked as a visiting assistant professor at the University of North Florida, Jacksonville, FL. He also severed as an assistant professor at Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Bangladesh. Dr. Bhowmik's research interests include Medical Imaging (mathematical modeling, simulation and application of three-dimensional cone-beam CT imaging), fingerprint identification and verification systems, and application of FPGA and microcontrollers. Based on his recent research work, a paper titled, "Segmentation of cracks in x-ray CT images of tested macroporous plaster specimens," has been awarded as the best technical paper at IEEE Southeastcon 2014 conference.
• Ujjal K. Bhowmik, and Reza R. Adhami, “Correlation and Support Vector Machine based Motion Artifacts Mitigation in 3D Computer Tomography,” Journal of X-ray Science and Technology, IOS Press, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 141-160, May 2012.
• Ujjal K. Bhowmik, M. Zafar Iqbal and Reza R. Adhami, “Mitigating Motion Artifacts in FDK Based 3D Conebeam Brain Imaging System using Markers,” Central European Journal of Engineering, SpringerLink, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp.369-382, 2012, (DOI:10.2478/s13531-012-0011-7).
• Ujjal K. Bhowmik and Reza R. Adhami, “A Novel Technique for Mitigating Motion Artifacts in 3D Brain Imaging System,” Journal of Scientia Iranica- Elsevier Press. Vol. 20, Issue 3, pp. 746–759, June 2013.
• Ujjal K. Bhowmik, GoutamSaha, AlokBarua and S. Sinha, “On-line Detection of Contamination in a Bioprocess Using Artificial Neural Networks,” Chemical Engineering and Technology, Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 543-549, June 2000.
• S.Choudhury, Y.Haque and Ujjal K. Bhowmik, “Isolation Techniques for Nonlinear Optical Measurements,” SUST Studies, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 32-36, 2005.
• Dat Tran, Kiet Duong and Ujjal K. Bhowmik, “A VHDL Based Controller Design for Non-contact Temperature and BreathingSensors Suitable for Crib,” IEEE BIBE 2014, Nov. 10-12, 2014, Boca Raton, Florida, USA.
• Ujjal K. Bhowmik, Divya Mandala, Nick W. Hudyma, O. Patrick Kreidl, and Alan Harris “Segmentation of Cracks in X-ray CT Images of Tested Macroporous Plaster Specimens,” IEEE Southeastcon 2014, march 13-16, 2014, Lexington, Kentucky, USA. (This paper was awarded as the best regular paper in the conference)
• Ujjal K. Bhowmik, Reza R. Adhami, “A Head Motion Measurement System Suitable for 3D Cone-beam Tomography Using Markers,” 34th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC ’12), August 28 - September 1, 2012, San Diego, CA, USA.
• Ujjal K. Bhowmik, Reza R. Adhami, “A Correlation and LS-VSM based approach to Mitigate Motion Artifacts in FDK Based 3D Cone-beam Tomography,” 33rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC ’11), August 30 - September 3, 2011, Boston, MA, USA.
• Ujjal K. Bhowmik, and Reza R. Adhami, “Motion Artifacts Compensation in FDK based 3D cone-beam Tomography Using Correlation of X-Ray Projections,” Proceedings of The International Conference on Image Processing, Computer Vision & Pattern Recognition (IPCV 2011), pp. 407-413, July 18-21, 2011, Las Vegas, USA.
• Ujjal K. Bhowmik, Araveti Venkata Sudeepth, Reza R. Adhami “An Innovative Approach to Reduce Streaking Artifacts in FDK Based 3D Cone-beam Tomography,” IEEE Southeastcon 2011, March 17-21, 2011, Nashville, USA.
• Ujjal K. Bhowmik, Ashkan Ashrafi, Reza R. Adhami, “A Fingerprint Verification Algorithm Using The Smallest Minimum Sum of Closest Euclidean Distance,” 19th International Conference on Electronics, Communications and Computers (Conielecomp’ 2009), February 26- 28, 2009, Cholula, Puebla Mexico.
AUTHORED LAB MANUAL
• Introduction to Altera Quartus II and ModelSim- Ujjal Kumar Bhowmik (pdf)
• Advanced Digital Logic Design Lab- Ujjal Kumar Bhowmik (pdf)
• Introduction to Digital Design Lab- Ujjal Kumar Bhowmik (pdf)
• Multisim_A_Quick_Start- Ujjal Kumar Bhowmik (pdf)
• ENGR355 (Electrical Laboratory I)- Ujjal Kumar Bhowmik (pdf)